BFSB hosted landfall events on May 30th and 31st in Montreal and Toronto, Canada respectively.The Montreal landfall event was co-hosted by BFSB and the law firm DeGrandPre Chait. Mr. Stephen Solomon who is a partner with the firm spoke in January at BFSB’s International Business and Finance Summit in Grand Bahama. It was at this time, that it was agreed that there were opportunities for local service providers in the Canadian market. During the Montreal event Stephen spoke of the Bahamas advantage from the Canadian perspective. The Montreal event began with a breakfast presentation at Le Hotel Crystal. This was followed by a luncheon event at The Toronto Board of Trade.
Canadian attorney Lorne Saltman of Gardner Roberts provided insights in to the Canadian legal and regulatory environment in Toronto and shared some views on what Bahamian financial services firms can do to attract Canadian business. In addition to the landfall events which took the format of a seminar, private meetings were held with Canadian service providers to outline the products and services offered as well as to share The Bahamas value proposition.
For the first time, ever, there was a live broadcast from the BFSB Landfall events. The radio show Z-Live hosted by Mr. Zhivargo Laing (Guardian 96.9 FM) broadcasted from Montreal and Toronto for three days.
Approximately 150 persons collectively attended the Canada landfall events.
Our presenters at the Landfall events included:
- Mrs. Latonia Symonette-Tinker, Consultant at the Ministry of Financial Services
- Mrs. Linda Beidler-D’Aguilar, Glinton Sweeting O’Brien, who presented on Family Offices
- Mr. Nick Damianos, Damianos Sotheby’s who presented on the advantages of the Bahamas as a Location
- Mr. Michael Dean, Equity Bank & Trust Company, who provided an overview of the Bahamas Investment Funds offerings
- Mr. Mike Unwin, RBC Wealth Management, who outlined the asset management services provided
- Miss. Deidree Bain, SMP Partners (Bahamas) Limited, who examined the tools available to a family office
- Mr. David Kosoy, Sterling Financial Group, who focused on private banking
- Mrs. Khrystle Rutherford- Ferguson of the Chamber of Commerce, who spoke on the Business environment in The Bahamas
The success of the event was evidenced by the excellent attendance as well as the business leads gained by those member firms in attendance. The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism through its Bahamas Tourist Office as well as the Bahamas High commission to Canada also supported the event.